Chief of Staff, Starfeet Org
About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (web3, cryptography, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
About the Protocol Labs Network
Protocol Labs is building the next generation of the internet. We are an open-source Network that spans the research to development pipeline to create new protocols, tools, and services to radically improve the internet. Our products serve thousands of organizations and millions of people. Many teams in the Network are fully distributed and follow a common set of open source practices to grow and flourish together. This distributed, open source philosophy is at the core of how we operate.
About the PL Starfleet Org
The PL Starfleet Org is split into two core working groups:
The PL EngRes WG’s mission is to scale & unlock new opportunities for IPFS, Filecoin + libp2p by onboarding the best developers and contributors in the world, unlocking breakthroughs in protocol utility & capability that drive large-scale adoption, and scaling network-native research & development across the PL Network.
The Talent Funnel WG (made up of Recruiting, People Ops, and Onboarding) goal is to source, hire, onboard & train top talent to our PL Network.
As a part of the Starfleet Org within the Protocol Labs Network, you’ll have an outsized impact on the entire Network by working on key Starfleet initiatives across multiple areas, including operations, engineering and R&D, product development, people & recruiting, and special projects. In this role, you will work closely with Starfleet leadership to structure and solve complex problems, then drive solutions forward across the organization.
As a COO of the Starfleet Org, you will:
- Work directly with Juan (CEO) and other starfleet leadership on the Org’s most important problems
- Help drive strategic direction of the Starfleet Org and oversee the Org’s day-to-day operation
- Ensure consistent, rapid, and effective execution according to the vision, goals, and strategy
- Define and lead projects & programs within the Starfleet Org, collaborating closely with other Org Leads
- Manage high priority business projects from conception through successful execution, collaborating with cross-functional internal team members
- Drive alignment from key internal stakeholders to support strategic decisions
- Drive goal setting and develop systems to track and analyze metrics for each of the different teams and efforts
- Oversee the supporting teams of the Org, including People Ops, Recruiting, Engineering, R&D, etc.
- Work in interconnected roles within the supporting teams to help actualize the CEOs vision and strategy
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve and optimize current processes to help deliver performance and achieve goals
- Help motivate and lead large cross-functional teams by example, even when challenges are extremely complex and solutions are unclear
- Operate and run Starfleet All Hands meetings
- Promote company culture and vision
You may be a fit for this role if you…
- Have 5+ years experience leading operations or COO of a growing startup, including senior leadership experience, and working with a cohesive cross-functional leadership team
- At least 5 years experience as a VP of Operations, Director of Operations, COO or other similar management position in a startup
- MBA or previous work experience with a high-growth technology company
- Can lead operational processes, build teams, and coach various leads
- Able to comfortably dive into any area of the business, understand business needs, and facilitate decisions
- Excellent EQ that understands how to bring strong perspectives together for a common outcome in a positive way
- Exceptional leadership skills in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Able to create order from chaos
- A lover of efficient protocols, clear priorities, organization, and attention to detail - but balanced with a strong practical side and “just get it done” mentality
- Strong passion for and understanding of web3/blockchain ecosystems / developer communities
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs' mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.