Head of People Operations
About Protocol Labs
Protocol Labs drives breakthroughs in computing to push humanity forward. Protocol Labs is a product-development lab, but behind the protocols and tools we build, behind the research and implementations, are passionate people, teammates, and community members. Most teams in the Protocol Labs Network are fully distributed and work remotely around the world. Engineers, researchers, and operators work in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances at the intersection of many exciting fields (crypto, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open-source, distributed work).
About the Protocol Labs Network
Protocol Labs is building the next generation of the internet. We are an open-source Network that spans the research to development pipeline to create new protocols, tools, and services to radically improve the internet. Our products serve thousands of organizations and millions of people. Many teams in the Network are fully distributed and follow a common set of open source practices to grow and flourish together. This distributed, open-source philosophy is at the core of how we operate. The Head of People Ops role will oversee web3-native people operations for one of the two largest of these aforementioned teams, supporting 60-200 folks within the Network and leading a People Ops team.
About the role
- Craft the web3-native vision for people operations across the Protocol Labs Network (PLN), and pioneer web-native primitives and processes to support long-term talent growth and successful journeys across PLN teams & companies
- Lead the People Ops team, serving as an advisor, coach, and partner to individual contributors, managers, and senior leadership throughout the PLN
- Build scalable programs and processes that are supportive of a web3 (decentralized) community of collaborators - including new exemplars for web3 team onboarding, performance reviews, engagement, compensation, and more
- Take a systems-oriented approach to designing, scaling, and refining people programs to align incentives between teams, individuals, and organizations
- Develop and manage the People Ops team - including collaboration with senior leadership to ensure alignment between our People Ops team and the greater PLN mission and vision
- Engage in some of our highest-priority PLN efforts, and convert ideas into tangible results with the People Ops team
- Ensure People Ops’ goals support the short-term needs of the PLN while also planning for the long-term growth of the PLN - in terms of both individual and team pathways/lifecycles within the network
- Provide operational leadership, coaching and hands-on contributions for People programs, such as performance, analytics, employee engagement, DE+I, L&D, ongoing learning/skill development, on/offboarding, and more - all in a web3-native form
- Review/audit processes and data, identify opportunities to scale, streamline and improve processes and procedures, and recommend and implement solutions while understanding downstream impact
- 5+ years of experience in People Ops/People Business Partnership and 3+ years in a people leadership role
- Experience participating in decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs), web3 teams, or the blockchain/distributed-web space
- Past experience in remote and globally distributed companies
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead high-performing teams
- Demonstrated ability to work within and be successful in a high-growth environment, adapting and adjusting quickly to changing priorities
- Experience having built underlying people processes from scratch that are highly scalable and flexible
- Excellent communication and consultative skills; the ability to translate data for different audiences
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative team environment, and to build and maintain successful relationships with all levels of the organization, achieve credibility, and influence outcomes
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to drive programs and execute on projects independently and resourcefully
- Proven ability to take ownership of a problem from start to finish without missing requirements
- Demonstrated discretion and sound judgment handling sensitive and confidential data
- Proven analytical and data management skills, with the ability to translate data into actionable next steps, projects and processes
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy with your own work and reviewing the work of others
- Excellent Google suite (Sheets, Docs, Slides, Forms) and/or Notion skills
- Familiarity with Namely, Greenhouse, Lattice, Culture Amp, Notion, and Gusto
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs' mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
If you’re passionate about the future of computing and a more democratized internet, we want to talk to you.
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.