Principal IT Developer
We are interested in every qualified applicant who is eligible to work remotely in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor new VISAs.
What is Your Impact?
Principal IT Developers are responsible for development, programming, coding of the most complex and business critical Information Technology solutions. Provides leadership and consultative guidance on Member Website projects with extensive size, scope and risk. Serves the company as an advisor on best practices and as an information technology strategy driver by implementing principles, models, designs, standards and guidelines. Principal IT Developers are responsible for documenting detailed system specifications, participation in unit testing and maintenance of planned and unplanned internally developed applications, evaluation and performance testing of purchased products. Principal IT Developers are responsible for including IT Controls to protect the confidentiality, integrity, as well as availability of the application and data processed or output by the application. Principal IT Developers lead efforts, oversee work results, providing formal training and serve as a technical resource for other Developers.
What Will You Do?
- Drives enterprise-wide technology strategy implementation based on leading-edge industry standards, best practices and comprehensive understanding of business operations.
- Write code for the most complex system designs and provides consultative guidance on project with extensive size, scope and risk. Write programs that span platforms. Code to and/or create Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Write code mostly for developing new programs
- Review code developed by other Developers
- Provide input to and drive programming standards
- Write detailed technical specifications for entire systems (made up of several subsystems). Identify integration points. Review technical specs created by other developers. Ensure sufficient quality and compliance of documentation to architectural standards
- Report missing elements found in system and functional requirements and explain impacts on subsystem to team members
- Consult with other Developers, Business Analysts, Systems Analysts and Project Managers
- Serves as lead liaison to vendors as assigned
- Serves on Steering Committees
- “Scope” time, resources, etc. required to complete programming projects. Seek review from other Developers, Business Analysts, Systems Analysts or Project Managers on estimates. Incorporate other Developer’s scope information into own scope document (for integration points)
- Assist in reviewing vendor products. Provide SME input on compliance of products to architectural standards and impacts to IT environment
- Perform unit testing and debugging. Set test conditions based upon code specifications. Able to debug most program errors (simple to complex). May seek assistance from vendors to debug complex errors
- Support transition of application throughout the Product Development life cycle. Document what has to be migrated. Often requires more coordination points for transitioning systems. Document what has to be migrated / file properties
- Work on integration issues and determines the integration approach. Coordinate with other areas for integration architecture solutions
- Assist technical team with defining configuration for installing products. May consult on database setup. May load database for testing, especially if there are multiple tables.
- Review vendor research and gap analyses. Narrows down vendor choices and makes final recommendation to technical team and client
- Act as a technical mentor to other team members
- Act as a technical lead on projects as assigned
- Continually works to enhance breadth and depth of knowledge and experience. Benchmarks technology strategies and architectures. Monitors and anticipates trends and investigates organizational objectives and needs. Prepares benchmarking reports and presentations.
What is Required?
- 6+ years related work experience. Experience Details: IT development/programming/coding professional work experience
- Related Bachelor’s degree or additional related equivalent work experience IT related field or equivalent work experience
- Expert level experience and understanding with unit testing, release procedures, coding design and documentation protocol as well as change management procedures.
- Expert level proficiency using versioning tools.
- Expert knowledge of Information Technology fields and computer systems.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible team player.
- Ability to manage tasks independently without close supervision and take ownership of responsibilities.
- Ability to learn from mistakes and apply constructive feedback to improve performance.
- Must demonstrate initiative and effective independent decision-making skills.
- Expert-level ability to communicate highly complex technical information clearly and articulately at all levels and audiences.
- Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Expert level understanding of the systems development life cycle.
- Expert level proficiency programming in multiple object oriented programming languages.
- High proficiency using standard desktop applications such as MS Suite and flowcharting tools such as Visio.
- Expert level proficiency using debugging tools.
- High critical thinking skills to evaluate alternatives and present solutions that are consistent with business objectives and strategy.
- Experience mentoring and/or leading other development staff.
- Exceptional leadership skills demonstrated through project or technical leadership experience.
- Expert-level ability to understand overall IT strategy and apply/implement IT strategy in assigned projects/initiatives.
What is Preferred?
- Experience using Agile methodology
- Various Domain experience; Health Care, Financial, etc.
- Experience using Agile, Waterfall, or hybrid methodology
- Experience with mobile design (native and mobile web)
- Experience with Foundation
- Experience with web accessibility guidelines and requirements
General Physical Demands
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally to move objects. Jobs are sedentary if traversing activities are required only occasionally.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Protected Veteran/Disabled Employer committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture for our employees and communities.