Product Design Director, Commerce
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, instantly available and universally accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
Our Commerce team exists to help customers connect with businesses in ways that are meaningful and valuable. We are rethinking how customers can spend and save better when they’re shopping, sharing, and paying for purchases. The team came into its current form in May 2022 with the merger of Cash’s existing Commerce team and Afterpay’s consumer product team.
We are looking for a seasoned Product Design Director to lead the discipline for Cash App’s newly streamlined Commerce team, which includes product verticals across Payments, Shopping, Businesses on Cash App, Merchant Programs, and all things Afterpay (a company Block acquired in the past year). This hire would also join the leadership group responsible for the Commerce product development organization, and join the Product Design leadership team to help shape the discipline within the company.
As the Design Lead for Commerce, you’ll also be responsible for recruiting and leading a team of talented product designers, fostering an environment for creativity and growth, facilitating connections across teams and disciplines and time zones, influencing the product vision at multiple altitudes, and driving positive customer and business outcomes.
- Exceptional decision making ability on both strategic and creative efforts.
- Multiple examples of shipping successful high quality, end-to-end experiences or products.
- Customer-centric approach to product building.
- Generous leadership and management approach that is built on communication, collaboration, empathy, and humility.
- Proven success shaping work environments to empower individuals and teams to do their best work.
- Talent in shaping and nurturing healthy culture creation for a diverse and global team that exists across many time zones.
- Extensive industry experience with a proven track record of scaling product design teams.
- High level of comfort working within ambiguous and complicated problem spaces with ability to translate them into opportunities and vision.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced, highly dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders, cultures, and ways of working.
- Bias towards action with a high degree of self-sufficiency and ability to influence up and across disciplines.
- Excellent communication, storytelling, and presentation skills.
- Mission-driven and growth-oriented mindset.
- Keen interest in reimagining digital and in-person commerce experiences for customers and businesses.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.