Senior Director, Product Design
Location: Remote, USA
Company: Professional Learning, CrossKnowlege
Our mission is to unlock human potential. We welcome you for who you are, and the background you bring, and we embrace individuals who get excited about learning. Bring your experiences, your perspectives, and your passion; it’s in our differences that we empower the way the world learns.
Wiley is constantly innovating on how to unlock human potential, and our content and publishing business is one of the most important levers in realizing this vision. Our professional learning division reaches millions of employees each year, providing them with content to build skills, drive their careers, and unlock their potential.
About the Role:
In this exceptional leadership opportunity, you will lead Wiley’s professional learning UX design and research team and will directly impact how we design, plan, and value our professional learning catalog by providing research, data, design best practices and expert leadership to guide design priorities and product excellence. You and your team will develop innovative and engaging user experience designs with an emphasis on validated UX feedback and methodologies, accessible designs to ensure engagement of all learners, identify characteristics of an "ideal" professional learning experience to drive our overall product design, derive insight for improvement from usage and feedback data, and identify new design innovations that Wiley should explore. You will recommend learning experience improvements, from digital to print, and influence the instructional models of our variety of learning experiences
The professional learning product lines include our CrossKnowledge platform, our Dummies publishing business, and our assessment products, all with their unique customers and needs. Reporting to the GVP of Product, Professional Learning, this role will lead the design strategy for these product lines and any future businesses within the professional learning portfolio.
In addition to managing a world-class team, you will influence business and technical strategies to help Wiley continue to learn how to unlock human potential.
How you will make an impact:
- Inspire and lead your team to deliver the best in class user experience across our product portfolio that established the professional learning brand with users and creates engaging learning experiences.
- Create design and research standard practices across the professional learning product teams and establish leadership in the trio of product, design, and engineering.
- Identify opportunities for innovation, efficiency, scalability in our product designs.
- Set the precedent for making data-driven design decisions and investments.
- Participate heavily in the professional learning product leadership team: help set business strategy, represent design in our strategic planning, initiate and debate key strategic topics and opportunities from your team’s work, and drive bold high-impact decisions.
- Grow and expand your expert team with an eye toward diverse and forward-pushing skills that support our product design from strategy to production.
- Instill an inclusive team culture that is both passionate and collaborative.
- Lead strong partnerships with Wiley’s professional learning product and engineering teams as well as collaborations with finance and marketing teams.
- Collaborate with other design leaders across Wiley’s other divisions to reduce redundancy, share best practices, and optimize our content investments.
What we look for:
- You enjoy having a strategic impact, including interacting with senior company leadership on tangly issues and applying strong judgment and analysis toward important business decisions.
- You have experience building and leading expert design strategy and production teams comprising both leaders and individual contributors and are adept at figuring out ways to help them flourish.
- You are skilled at having an impact in complex or ambiguous problem spaces that cannot be empirically proven and require blending data and scientific methods with judgment-based approaches.
- You are skilled at operating in a complex, cross-functional organization or company where your teams need to collaborate and integrate with other teams across many disciplines.
- You have exceptional oral and written communication skills and are articulate with both technical and business partners. You create effective frameworks to aid discussion of complicated topics.
- You are an active listener and are conscious of voices that have not yet been heard.
- You are curious about learning and differences in needs in different regions around the world and are excited to help Wiley deepen and broaden our content to increase its relevance globally and locally.
Enabling Discovery, Powering Education, Shaping Workforces.
We clear the way for seekers of knowledge: illuminating the path forward for research and education, tearing down barriers to society’s advancement, and giving seekers the help they need to turn their steps into strides.
Wiley may have been founded over two centuries ago, but our secret to success remains the same: our people. We are willing to challenge the status quo, move the needle, and be innovative. Wiley’s headquarters are located in Hoboken, New Jersey, with operations across the globe in more than 40 countries.
Wiley is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We evaluate all qualified applicants and treat all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or based on any individual’s status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Wiley is also committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
Remote, OR 97458, USA
Management Level ID: