Staff Technical Writer
Who we are
Our mission at Nylas is to turn communication into inspiration and insight. We empower over 100,000 developers and over 900 companies all over the world to access, parse, and gain insights from communications data to provide better experiences for their customers and users, all while providing top tier security and compliance. To achieve this vision, we’ve raised over $175M from Tiger Global, 8VC, ScaleUp, Spark Capital, Slack, and more.
We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and a massive opportunity (the world runs on communication and data). By continuing to hire exceptional people from all different backgrounds and perspectives, we have the opportunity to make Nylas one of the biggest, most successful and equitable technology companies in the world.
Nylas is an advocate for the well-being of our employees. We trust our employees and give them the autonomy to achieve their goals without focusing on when, where, and how they get there. We are a flexibility first workplace, but if Nylanauts want to work from an office, we have hubs in San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London.
We are also strong supporters of internal and cross-team mobility and growth. We want Nylas to be a place where anyone can be supported to grow, learn, and become the best at what they do. We’ve been named a top Startup for career growth and development by Forbes, Great Places to Work, and Comparably!
From our CTO + Co-Founder, Christine Spang:
“We have a number of folks on the team who started as an individual contributor and became staff level or leaders in their area. I personally love seeing people reach their full potential and become successful at Nylas.”
The Nylas Developer Relations team is looking for a Staff Technical Writer to own the strategy, execution, and improvement of Nylas’ docs while working in a highly cross-functional role with product, developer relations, and engineering. We’re looking for someone who has an obsession for writing docs developers love and is eager to build a world-class documentation experience that other companies look to as an example for best practices.
As Staff Technical Writer, you will create systems to effectively manage work streams like issue reports and rollout of documentation for new API features and developer tools. You know how to manage stakeholders and their expectations, and you value building relationships. And on top of this, you’re a world-class technical writer!
You’ll get to work with a DevRel lead that is excited about docs, has Docs for Developers open while writing this JD, and understands the tremendous effort required to ship and maintain great docs. You’ll also get to work with a team of Developer Advocates who are already engaged and making contributions to docs.
If you’re looking for a role where you can get in some early wins while helping plot and build the future of documentation for a rapidly growing API platform, you will thrive here and we want to talk to you!
- Grok the current state of affairs, then craft and execute an action plan for what we can do *now* to benefit developers and serve internal stakeholders who are shipping product and onboarding customers.
- Work with stakeholders to create a future vision for Nylas Documentation, and a roadmap to get there.
- Establish a partnership with our Developer Advocates, SDK team, Product team, Engineering team, and others to create the documentation our developers need.
- Build sample code, demos, and code tutorials that closely match our target customers’ use cases.
- Create a polished and delightful docs experience for developers who are integrating with the Nylas platform.
- Create release notes and changelogs tailored for their audiences, and ensure each is communicated internally and externally.
- Look for ways to ensure that documentation is well-integrated with other forms of developer enablement content created by Developer Advocates, like blog posts, live streams, and more.
- You love docs-as-code and want to automate everything.
- Serve as mentor and model for high-execution documentation
- 6+ years’ experience writing technical documentation for a developer audience. You’ve worked on a minimum of 2 API docs sets that are publicly available.
- Strong technical acumen; you can read and write code and have experience with a server-side language (our SDKs support Node.js, Java, Ruby, and Python, with more on the way).
- Familiarity with a number of documentation frameworks and tools, including static site generators, CLIs, and git. You have opinions on the pros and cons of different types of Documentation tooling and are flexible when it comes to choosing the right tools for the job.
- Deep familiarity with OpenAPI/Swagger and the related toolset.
- Deep experience building cross-functional relationships and establishing documentation in Product and Engineering processes.
- Automation experience with GitHub Actions, command line tools, or the like.
- Experience working with an open source community.
- You know that overall word count and page count are not the goals. Instead, you aim for lean docs that meet customer needs while offering a navigable, self-serve developer journey.
- Enthusiasm about the Docs meta game.
- Execution mindset.
- Effective at stakeholder management and inclusion (internal and external).
- Ownership mindset.
- Intellectually curious.
Please provide links to the following with your application:
- At least 2 technical writing samples
- At least 2 open source community interactions that involve another person (PRs, PR reviews, reported issues, etc)
Perks and Benefits:
- Nylas Alumni Fund: after 3 years employment, Nylas will invest $20k into your seed round if you decide to start your own company
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
- Healthcare: 90% premium coverage for medical, dental and vision for you and your family
- One Medical onsite and tele-health membership for you and dependents
- Additional: Health and DC FSA, Life insurance, with options for STD, LTD
- Retirement Plan: match up to 3% of annual salary for 401k or RRSP contributions
- Education Stipend: $1k annual education & development benefit
- Perk card: $150 per month towards health, wellness, and other perks via Assembly
- Cell Phone: $50 per month stipend towards cell phone reimbursement
- Fully Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks parental leave (maternity & paternity)
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Nylas is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states/provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state/province where Nylas is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application and will either move forward with your application, find another team that might be better suited to your skills, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.