Technical Writer, Developer Platform
Remote job description
Our mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. With more than 50 million people visiting 100,000+ communities daily, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. From pets to parenting, skincare to stocks, there's a community for everybody on Reddit. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
The Developer Platform team is part of an exciting new effort to help onboard and empower third-party developers to build creative tools and experiences for Redditors and communities.
As the team's first Technical Writer, you'll be responsible for supporting a new community of external developers with clear, easy-to-follow documentation; consistent information architecture; and concise UX. You'll collaborate with a team of dedicated engineers, product managers, designers, and community managers to make developing on Reddit's new platform easy and enjoyable. In addition, you'll own the technical writing function of Reddit's Content Design team, which includes UX Writers and Content Designers working across the organization's product and engineering orgs.
What You'll Do
- Craft documentation, tutorials, guides, and other materials to help third-party developers create amazing tools for Reddit's communities.
- Work closely with engineering and product teams to drive the strategy and execution for creating documentation for Reddit's developer platform. This includes understanding requirements, scoping work, designing the information architecture and navigation, and developing the documentation content itself.
- Assisting in the crafting of clear, concise, and consistent user interface copy for the developer platform that makes it easy and enjoyable for third-party developers to accomplish tasks and reach their goals.
- Provide a content design perspective throughout the product development process and advocate for design and content that "Remembers the human" and improves the Reddit experience for developers.
- Document your own strategies by creating guidelines for technical documentation and building out best practices and principles for writing.
Who You Might Be
- 3+ years of technical writing experience
- Strong attention to detail
- Understanding of APIs, web development, and developer workflows
- Comfort owning documentation in multiple formats, establishing team writing goals and standards, and working closely with engineering teams and program managers as part of the development process
- Experience with information architecture and content design
- Strong problem solving skills and demonstrated ability to build a solution from principles and communicate it to stakeholders
- Ability to be effective in situations with limited information
- Motivated to ship the best product; always thinking about how to improve the experience for the end user
In addition to your application, please submit a portfolio or writing samples that highlight the breadth and depth of your technical writing and design experience. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.